Friday, June 12, 2009

A tour to the heartland of terror- Day4- Pahalgam


Bleary eyed and not in quite the right frame of mind, I struggled to come to terms with daybreak and finally did so. Post breakfast, we embarked on an hour's drive to a path that led to the famous Amarnath temple. That point was supposed to be the start to the holy Amarnath yatra.

Another icy place. God knows I became sick of ice then and there. My cousins took to the ice, a little reluctantly, due to their dad's insistence. Off they went trekking, I even thought, at this rate, they'll probably touch some peak and won't get back. After about a half hour or so, they came down, happy to land their feet on solid ground.

A few minutes after they came down, we were herded back to the Sumos and off we went to a place called Aru valley (apparently called the Switzerland of India. ) Wonder if Switzerland is really that cold. Brrr.. frozen hands when we reached the end of the pony ride. I was really happy to find a tea stall. And it would be a crime, not to mention a Kashmiri speciality called kawah. It s basically a decoction of tea, in which you add things like broken pieces of badam and cashew and some fine grounded ginger and masala. A very nice drink for the really cold weather, keeps you really warm.

Dinner- once again the same menu, no big change, except for the soup and the sweet dish. Gulab Jamun. As usual, you could here my grandmother and her cousin groaning for south Indian food. I finished my dinner quickly, to catch the IPL match in the lobby. I am very thankful to BSNL, for that was the only provider whose signal was picked in all of Kashmir. And I am very thankful to my dear dad for letting me use his phone. God knows what the bill'll come up to.

One nice comedy that I noticed during this trip was that my grandmother (who's a little hard of hearing- like Prof. Cuthbert Calculus, of Tintin comics.) She and her cousin would give different interpretations for anything that they talk about. I even thought of it like, 2 schoolkids, who when they see a cloud say- hey that s an elephant. no, stupid, that's a cow. That way.

One more night- half asleep. Thankfully, there was a room heater this time. It was really cold on that night. Before sleeping, I had the luxury of stretching out in front of the heater in my parent's room. My thoughts before falling asleep, quite late into the night- Wonder when the hell 'll I return to Chennai? Now I knew how Steve Harmison must feel on every tour that he goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment