Friday, June 12, 2009

A tour to the heartland of terror- Day 5- Gulmarg


Up, Up. Rise and Shine. It was just about 7 45 am when I opened my eyes to see everyone running around holding clothes in their hands, while me and my cousin (Badri, he s doing his masters in tennessee.) were still asleep.

Soon enough, even I got going. I still felt so tired. I just didn't want to wake up, but somehow I pushed my self and got ready. I had to literally drag myself down to the restaurant to catch a bit of aloo parathas for breakfast. After the bomb 2 nights ago, food was a luxury to me. With a heavy load of luggage, which included a couple of cricket bats and a baseball bat, we set out to Gulmarg on that rickety bus again.

Gulmarg- the valley of flowers, was about 8 hrs drive from Pahalgam. I slept through most of the way. I didn't stir till we were about half hour from the resort. Even then my thoughts wandered back to Chennai. Gulmarg's another cold place. The main attraction for tourists there happens to be the cable car or the gondola as it is also known.

We reached the gondola station at around 2 30, just a few minutes after another lunch, which I had to push down my throat. Then we boarded the gondola and the slow long ride to the top took a good part of fifteen minutes.

If you had seen the movie Roja, you would have seen the song- Puthu Vellai Mazhai( I dunno what it's called in Hindi) you would know what it really is to see so much of ice. None of us were really excited by that sight, but yes, it would make your heart leap up a bit, then your brain says, as if you've never seen so much of ice.

4 o clock- closing time at the gondolas . We made our way down back to the resort and settled in our rooms. Wow. I've never felt heat under my butt till then. We had a bed heater in our room, which felt so good for weary butts. With a Venkatesh movie, which looked like a half boiled remake of Om Shanti Om, to boot, we all settled in our bed and waited for the movie to finish.

Just a little after 7, me and my eldest cousin went off for a long walk. i didn't know we were going for a long walk, so I was jus wearing my sandals. It became mighty cold by the time we returned at 8 30. Dinner at 8 45 and off to doze by 9 30.

PS: the bed heater and the room heater provided so much warmth that we woke up sweating. Do not miss this place if you are going for a honeymoon. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment