Saturday, November 7, 2009

Friend, Dost, Nanban..



There are so many proverbs about friendship. "A friend in need is a friend in deed", "Tell me who your friends are, I will tell who you are." All that. Really. There are so many great examples of great friendships.

Some of the ones that people who watch movies (any language) regularly will know are- in Thalapathy- Superstar Rajinikanth and Malayalam Idol Mamooty. In Rang De Basanti- the group of friends who avenge the inglorification of Madhavan (Air Force officer Ajay Rathod who gets killed in flight crash). In Chennai 600028. There are so many examples.

All of us do have our own close friends, best friends, etc. Some of us may not talk regularly with some of our closest friends, but we do have that understanding. An understanding that, ok he's busy, but when he does call- i'm gonna ask what took you so long. Some of us may have friends who have been with us for a very long time, but still they may not be as close as people who have been with us just for a few months.

My best friends are 2 guys. 2 guys' whose opinions matter a lot to me. One of these 2 guys has been my classmate since my 4th standard till 12th standard. The other guy I knew him from my 8th standard, but we studied together only for 11th and 12th. And all 3 of us were together in the same class, same school in 11th and 12th. Inseparable really. All 3 of us would roam together, and at times, even study together. lol. It was pretty hard to digest at first that all three of us would be going to different colleges, but still, since we were really close with each other, we did not lose contacts.

Now, all three of us are in different parts of the world. Sad. I don't even know if either of them would read this post. Even sadder. But one thing I know is that I'll be in their memory forever. Happiest thing in life- someone remembers you.

There are some lines about friendship which I like a lot. Particularly this one from Chennai 600028, "Unnum sorru nooragum, ondruku ondru veragum, uppu illamal enna aagum, uppai poley natpai ezhthuvom." Then there is ultimate scene in Thalapathi, where Mamooty asks Thalaivar Rajini's as to why he didn't join up with his family, even after knowing that he has a family. To which Thalaivar replies "Enna nee en nanban." That- according to me is the best scene ever in Tamil cine history, which defines the true meaning of friendship.

Even Hindu mythology has its example of friendship. Mahabharata, in which Karna knows Duryodhana is a bad guy, but still sticks around with him for the only reason that Duryodhana is Karna's friend. The movie Thalapathi is loosely based on this great Hindu epic.

I have a lot of friends, who are now successful in different spheres and in different parts of the world. But to be honest and frank with everyone of my friends who might think they are not remembered- I'd just like to tell, I remember each and everyone of you guys. It's just that 2 guys who made a lot of difference to my life pipped the others to take the post. Sorry to all my other friends whom I couldn't mention here, but a huge thank you to each and everyone of you, because all of you have made some difference to my life and have given it some meaning.

4 comments:

  1. Hey true man... Wherever you re and be it however long since u spoke to ur friend, the day u meet him or her would just be the most beautiful day... There are few things that even time cannot change.. Friendship is one such thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dude,nice one man.Couldnt agree with u more.Now i knew why u asked me to read this.Quite nostalgic, was lost in thoughts and went back in years for a few mins.Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i was the first to read this post

    ReplyDelete